We went through a lot of topics on the forums and distilled out a few ideas that would be quick to implement. Here's what we've done so far:
1. Removed win/loss ratio from profiles and coalitions. Added 'games won' and 'games abandoned' (%). This should hopefully encourage people to play the game to the end or at least surrender. Note that people will still be leaving games no matter what penalties we come up with. Just focus on maps and scenarios that don't require every player to be present - then leaving won't be such a huge deal.
2. No surrender in solo games, only abandon. Solo games wouldn't add to 'games played' stat nor to the 'games abandoned' percentage in profiles. This would make farming a bit harder and allow map/scenario makers to test their creations without fearing for their stats.
3. Players are now allowed to play in the Beginners room until rank 5 (including 5). Additionally, ranks 0-3 are no longer allowed to play in the Main room. This would prevent newbies from being horribly slaughtered and stop guest alts from starting scenarios in the Main room.
UPDATE: Beginners room is now for ranks 0-4, Main room for ranks 3+
4. 'Allow alliances' option changed to 'maximum alliances' - now you can specify exactly how many alliances players are allowed to have (0 option is also included). Default is 3. This should discourage alliance-spamming and make alliances more strategic.
- Only coalitions that have played a CW (or registered) in the last 90 days are listed in the index, similar to the players list. Other coalitions are available under a "show all" link.
- Players now receive double SP in CW.
- Seasons now have 20 games, with the last 20 games counted (as opposed to first 10 previously).
- The significance of competence is now much lower. CP gained/lost now ranges between 50 and 100 (used to be 1-100). Meaningful competence ranges between 0.75 and 2. Anything below counts as 0.75, anything above counts as 2.
- Latest CWs will be shown in player profiles (coming soon)
6. Completing each chapter in the tutorial now gives SP and exiting the tutorial is counted as a victory. This would only work for rank 0, though.